SOCIETY LOTTERIES DELIVER A RECORD £255 MILLION TO GOOD CAUSES
PERCENTAGE TO GOOD CAUSES INCREASES TO 43.6%
Jo Bucci, Chair of The Lotteries Council, which represents Britain’s vibrant society lottery sector, has welcomed a record year of fundraising by society lotteries.
Britain’s 491 society lotteries have raised a record £255.56 million for good causes over the year, up from £212.12 million the previous year. The percentage of society lottery income going to good causes has also increased to 43.6%, up from last year’s 43%.
The new figures come from the latest Gambling Commission statistics and relate to the year to March 2017.
Welcoming the figures Jo Bucci said that simple changes to the law governing society lotteries would help Lotteries Council members raise even more for good causes over the years ahead.
Commenting Lotteries Council Chair, Jo Bucci, said:
“These new statistics highlight a fantastic year of fundraising by the country’s society lotteries. We are delighted that society lotteries are raising even more for charities large and small. A £43.4 million increase over the year reflects lots of hard work by our member organisations, but our main thanks goes to the players of society lotteries who are making an increasingly valuable contribution.
“We are also very pleased to see that society lotteries charitable contribution has increased as well, with an impressive 43.6% of income now going to good causes.
“Support from the players of society lotteries fund a wide range of causes including hospices, air ambulances, sports clubs, health charities, animal welfare and support for the elderly to name just a few.
“We hope to raise even more this year, however more and more of the lotteries we represent are seeing their fundraising capped by the sales limits in gambling law. These limits are increasingly out of date and The Lotteries Council urge the UK Government to bring forward plans to raise the limits and help us contribute even more to good causes.”
1. The new Gambling Commission statistics can be found here: http://live-gamblecom.cloud.contensis.com/PDF/survey-data/Gambling-industry-statistics.pdf
2. The Lotteries Council proposes the following changes to gambling law to help society lotteries generate even more for good causes:
• An increase in the permissible amount of ticket sales in a single draw to increase from the current £4 million to £10 million.
• An increase in the annual income cap on a society lottery from the current £10 million to £100 million.
• An increase in prize values from £25,000 to £100,000.
• The aggregation of the present 20% statutory contribution to good causes over three years for new society lotteries.